Week 04 and 05 and the Group-Assignment 01 concentrated on working with the intensity properties of picture arrays, i.e., using the histogram, the plot profile (line plot) and the point measurement as measuring tools and point processing as the processing technique for manipulating the intensity of an array. Although relatively simple the concepts were new to most of you and I have to do a better job in introducing them. I had hoped that the programming exercise would help with discovering the principles behind the histogram. Do to diversity in programming skills, group work could help too, but we are having trouble doing it. All of this led to disastrous results in the quizzes.
So let’s start with improving the group work. The Group Assignment 01 has two sections. Each of them has three parts. Each group member should do one of the parts in each of the sections. In order to show active participations, a found solution must be demonstrated on the group member’s picture (iMac picture, 256x256 desaturated and 8-bit gray tone). Each group manager should make a task table and members must sign in their activities.
Lab Exercises (quick lab quizzes) are a good scenario tool for demonstrating the understanding of concepts. The last Quick-Quiz-Lab-05 went under belly-up. We will have to repeat it after the histogram programming exercise is done and the concept has settled in better understanding with the cumulative histogram.
Regular Quizzes are part of the grading and should fairly reflect the learning achievement. Well, these quizzes are concept-based and require an understanding of the concepts for being successfully finished. I will help with the understanding of the concepts quizzed in the Quiz 02 and have posted the entire quiz with all answer choices openly in
Grading should help with reflection on achievements. I feel that the Shared Document Grading could provide a powerful motivator for improvement of outcome. It also shows the group dynamic and thus should enhance the level of class achievement. I have provided additional graphs for helping each of you defining your individual course outcome goals.
I sincerely hope that we can pull this class together and have more fun than struggle, and find enlightenment in understanding the principles of digital imaging and the role computer science is playing in the modeling and discovering of vision mechanisms.

No comments:
Post a Comment